Red Tape

Those of you who know how taxing and extensive the measures can be in getting started on hormone replacement therapy will understand that, even without the hoops that insurance companies require transgender individuals to jump through, the mental and emotional stress can be more than enough to handle. I must be transparent in letting you know that I truly did not have to jump many hurdles in order to get started on HRT. By the time I came to terms with my gender I was ready to start my medical transition as soon as possible, and within 4 months I was starting hormones. I switched from my primary physician of several years to a new physician referred to me by a friend of Sara's. They told me that this doc was LGBT friendly, and that they have enjoyed having him as their primary physician. So, I made an appointment with him and was very pleased with my first impression. He was very personable, and he was fascinated and excited with being my physician throughout my transition. He was excited to do the research and gain the knowledge necessary to administer my hormones, as he hadn't previously treated any transgender patients. He was more than supportive, and still is. Upon my first visit with him, we discussed the red tape necessary for insurance to proceed with covering HRT, so he set up a referral to a counselor to obtain the referral letter that my insurance requires for my doc to prescribe my hormones. He initially referred me to a psychiatrist in my area that has experience in dealing with trans issues and needs. Prior to my doc attempting to use him as a referral, I had already done quite a bit of research on this particular psych. Unfortunately, he was no longer accepting new patients, so my doc had to attempt another referral. The second referral was a licensed counselor, someone I had also done quite a bit of research on, and she is also LGBT friendly. Ultimately, I ended up going to the second referral. She had not previously worked with trans clients, and I did not get my letter on my first visit, however at the end of my second session she did write a lengthy letter of referral stating that I was fit to begin HRT. I should note that these two sessions were within a week of each other. My short wait was nothing compared to the grueling amounts of time other trans men and women have had to tough out in awaiting letters, treatment, or even finding physicians and counselors willing to help them. I consider myself blessed to have had such an easy experience in finding the right professionals that would help and support me.

Today marks 50 days on testosterone. As I read the accounts of other trans men and women, their testimonies, experiences, struggles, battles, and some incredible victories, I think of how incredibly easy I've had it so far. I haven't been disowned or rejected, I haven't lost my job due to my being transgender, I haven't lost my family or been ostracized from my church. I am misgendered less and less, I am acknowledged by my chosen name and addressed using male pronouns at work, home, and church. My transition, so far, has gone rather smoothly. So, I will say it again, I am blessed. I am thankful, and my heart truly goes out to those who have not had it so easy.

Thanks for reading. Be kind and respect one another.


Eliot






No comments:

Post a Comment